Here at Kirkstall St Stephen’s English is a core subject and is embedded across the curriculum. It is a life skill which is essential to the development of the child and will help enhance learning in all areas. The acquisition of English is essential since it encompasses all areas of learning and as such we would encourage, where appropriate, a cross curricular approach to the teaching of English as this can be exploited to provide meaningful learning contexts.
At Kirkstall St Stephens we strive to achieve a more creative and experiential approach to the curriculum. We strive to create a community of readers and writers who use their skills confidently and competently. We hope to foster a love of literature and to equip our children with the skills to achieve success in all learning areas.
Here at Kirkstall St Stephen's we initially teaching reading through a synthetic phonics programme.
- Jolly phonics (Reception)
- Letters and sounds (Year 1 and 2)
- Rising stars weekly spelling tests
- Rising Stars 'Cracking the Code' for comprehension
- Various different resources and book schemes to teach the national curriculum comprehension skills for each year goup
The attached files for Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 contain the following key information for parents: * Book bands * comprehension questions * common exemption words